- 1 Sea salt or liquid smoke, Smoked
- 8 oz Cream cheese
- *Sprinkle with shredded cheddar if desired
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Prep the jalapenos by cutting off the stems and splitting them in half lengthwise. Remove the membrane and seeds inside. (Wear gloves if you have them to avoid contact with the oils from the membrane and seeds.)
- Roast off the jalapenos in the oven (about 20 minutes) or wrap in foil and toss on a hot grill until they are softened. Allow to cool. This pre-roast ensures that the peppers will be fully cooked; it also gives them a nice mellow flavor.
- While the peppers roast, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the excess oil and combine the sausage with the cream cheese.
- Take two jalapeno halves, stuff them with this sausage-cream cheese filling, and then sandwich them together. Wrap in bacon and secure with toothpicks.
- If you have a smoker, you can cook them in the smoker at 225-250 F for about 30-35 minutes. Otherwise, finish off your buffalo turds in the oven (450 F) for 10-15 minutes, turning them halfway through so that the bacon browns evenly. If using the oven method, you can impart some smokiness by sprinkling a little smoked sea salt on top (or adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the filling mixture).